Music EducationOur Program Concentrations
Are you considering music teaching as a career? Enroll in the undergraduate music education curriculum at UNM and realize your full potential as a music teacher. We offer:
- Strong faculty expertise in diverse content areas: instrumental, choral, elementary, early childhood, jazz, conducting, world music, music learning theory, Orff, Kodály, vernacular music, and music technology.
- A comprehensive curriculum in music education that provides a strong practical, theoretical, and philosophical foundation.
- Full access to the benefits of working with New Mexico’s largest music faculty: First-rate student ensembles, thorough training in music fundamentals, and outstanding instruction in applied music
- Many early field teaching experiences. As part of their regular course requirements, all music education majors teach real, live students in a variety of settings: An elementary classroom music lab, middle school general music classes, and middle school instrumental rehearsals. In addition, many of our students independently arrange paid or volunteer teaching opportunities for themselves in area schools
- An active and supportive NAfME (National Association for Music Education) student chapter
- The advantages of living and going to school in a vibrant metropolitan area: Big-name concerts and entertainment, amateur and professional performance opportunities, and varied cultural events
Music Education Summer Workshops
Watch: Music Education at UNM
“As a graduate of the UNM Music Department and someone who works with many of the students from the music education program, I feel I have a unique perspective on what music education students at UNM receive. My experience as a student at UNM and my relationship with the Music Education Faculty has shaped who I am as an educator and opened doors for me in my career. In addition, in my role as a mentor to student teachers it is clear to me that UNM is preparing the next generation of teachers by blending traditional pedagogy with innovative approaches to provide an environment conducive to growth and learning.”Donna Schmidt